I had some WordPress performance issues over the weekend. The website was performing so poorly that connections timed out. I traced the problem to some changes I made in the MySQL configuration. I want to spend more time learning about that so that I can find tune thing. To recover, I created a new Digital Ocean VPS and copied the default MySQL configuration to my VPS. The website performance returned.
By the time I had things squared away, my mind was soon in tweaker mode, so I made sure APCu Object Cache for PHP7 was installed, then I installed and configured the WP LCache and W3 Total Cache plugins.
There are still some issues I want to work on fixing:
- MySQL read performance