I made a fancy-schmancy French-style grilled cheese called Croque Monsieur. My recipe is slightly modified from the one I found on the Spruce Eats, in that I used Camembert instead of Gruyere and Black Forest tavern ham.
- 1/4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 1 ounce Black Forest tavern ham
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
While the first side of the sandwich was under the broiler I realised that cooking the one side for 5 minutes would burn the whole grain bread. I reduced the grilling time to 3 minutes.
Steps to Make It
* Preheat the broiler to the lowest heat setting.
* Evenly divide and spread the mustard on 2 slices of bread.
* Place a few slices of ham, followed by the Camembert, on the mustard-side of the bread.
* Cover the cheese with the remaining slices of bread and spread the butter on the outside surfaces of the sandwiches.
* Place the sandwiches on an ungreased baking sheet and broil for about 3 minutes, and continue cooking until they are crispy and golden brown, about 3 additional minutes.