The Kingston Bridge is the oldest in Somerset County. The stone arch bridge carried New Jersey Route 27 over the Millstone River in Franklin Township. Part of the Kingston Mill Historic District which has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1986. During the American Revolutionary War, the previous bridge was destroyed by General George Washington to halt advancing British troops.
Dedicated in 1913, The Lincoln Highway ran east to west from Times Square in New York City to Lincoln Park in San Francisco. The highway, one of the earliest transcontinental roads in the United States, initially passed through 13 states which included New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and California.
Until 1919, the Kingston Bridge carried part of the Old Lincoln Highway which started at the New York Central Railroad's ferry terminal in Weehawken, New Jersey and followed a winding path through New Jersey to Trenton and over the Calhoun Street Bridge and the Delaware River into Pennsylvania. In 1927, the whole Lincoln Highway in New Jersey was assigned the number U.S. Route 1. Eventually, portions of the Old Lincoln Highway was subsumed or bypassed by Route 1 and Route 27.
Submitted for the 100DaysToOffload project.