- Jeff Ventura writes about Apple's role in Microsoft's downfall. The agent is OS-X.
- CrunchGear reports that Comcast thinks it's best customers should get off its network. Apparently broadband networks are not to be used to watch videos or download software.
- Web Worker Daily wants to now what What Chores Do You Outsource? I briefly outsourced housecleaning before my wife took personal offense.
- And the Linux and Open Source Blog reports that GAIM makes nice with AOL and gets a new name. On my MacBook I use AdiumX which uses the GAIM libraries.
Om Malik has posted a list of his top 10 Mac applications. I use most of what he posted, but it started me thinking about my top apps. For anyone who cares, here they are:
- Camino - I agree with Om on this one. Firefox was my favourite but I was becoming increasingly annoyed by its slow performance even in a 2GHz MacBook and Safari was not extensible. With the inclusion of some fantastic plugins from Pimp My Camino, I have all I need.
- iChat - I have used the Jabber (XMPP) protocol to integrate my Google Talk, MSN, AIM, and Yahoo instant messenger accounts.
- NetNewsWire - I fire this one for a daily dose of Google Reader, Web Worker Daily, and MacWorld.
- Qumana - Simple, capable blogging application.
- QuickSilver - I would not be as productive without this application launcher.
- Parallels Desktop for Mac - This one makes my MacBook more valuable. I can run Windows XP, Vista and Ubuntu Linux all one machine (although not all at the same time).
- CrossOver - For when I need to run Quicken for Windows (because Quicken for Mac SUCKS!!!)
Powered by Qumana
Om Malik has started a new blog called Web Worker Daily. One of his postings is a short list of Wi-Fi enabled cafes on the west coast of the USA. I decided to start a similar list for the Princeton, NJ area where I live.
Local cafes can provide a strong dose of caffeine, free WiFi, and power to help you write, code, or troubleshoot. The best cafes have comfortable tables, quality coffee and espresso, and talented baristas. - Om Malik
I am listing the free one's only.
One Washington Road Princeton NJ 08544
136 Nassau Street Princeton NJ 08542
US Route 1 South Princeton NJ 08540
510 Nassau Park Boulevard Princeton NJ 08540
1330 Us Highway 206, Skillman, NJ 08558
Powered by Qumana