A simple warming coconut flour porridge for quiet mornings. This low carb breakfast cereal comes together in minutes providing a fast ketogenic, grain-free breakfast option.
As part of my diabetes management plan, I try to keep my blood glucose (BG) no higher than 140 mg/dL. A few months ago I noticed that doing so was becoming more challenging. My trend toward high BG. In an attempt to combat this I’ve been experimenting with various low-carbohydrate recipes.
[recipe Title=”Coconut Flour Porridge Breakfast Cereal” Servings=”1″ Description=”A quick low-carb coconut flour porridge breakfast cereal for lazy mornings.” Difficulty=”Easy” image=”https://islandinthenet.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Coconut-Flour-Porridge_Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III_20180325-2.jpg” time=”5 minues”]
This recipe is a variation on a recipe I found on Low Carb Maven. I used the ingredients I had on hand.
Based on the information I compiled from FatSecret this Coconut Flour Porridge had about 345 calories, 15.5g of carbohydrate, 11.6g of protein, and 25.98g of fat.
– 2 tablespoons organic coconut flour
– 2 tablespoons Trader Joe’s organic flax seeds
– 3/4 cup water
– pinch of salt
– 1 large Farmers Hen House free range egg
– 2 teaspoons ShopRite butter
– 1 tablespoon ShopRite heavy cream
– 2 packets Splenda
1. Beat the egg in a small bowl.
2. Grind the flax seeds in a small kitchen grinder.
3. In a small pot, heat the coconut flour, ground flax seeds, salt and water. When the porridge begins to simmer, turn the heat down to medium-low and whisk until the porridge begins to thicken.
4. Remove the coconut flour porridge from heat and add the beaten egg, a half at a time, while whisking continuously. Place pot back on the heat and continue to whisk until the porridge thickens.
5. Remove pot from the heat and continue to whisk for about 30 seconds before adding the butter, cream and sweetener.