A simple warming coconut flour porridge for quiet mornings. This low carb breakfast cereal comes together in minutes providing a fast ketogenic, grain-free breakfast option.
As part of my diabetes management plan, I try to keep my blood glucose (BG) no higher than 140 mg/dL. A few months ago I noticed that doing so was becoming more challenging. My trend toward high BG. In an attempt to combat this I've been experimenting with various low-carbohydrate recipes.
Coconut Flour Porridge Breakfast Cereal
A quick low-carb coconut flour porridge breakfast cereal for lazy mornings.
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons Trader Joe’s organic flax seeds
- 3⁄4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1 large Farmers Hen House free range egg
- 2 teaspoons ShopRite butter
- 1 tablespoon ShopRite heavy cream
- 2 packets Splenda
- Beat the egg in a small bowl.
- Grind the flax seeds in a small kitchen grinder.
- In a small pot, heat the coconut flour, ground flax seeds, salt and water. When the porridge begins to simmer, turn the heat down to medium-low and whisk until the porridge begins to thicken.
- Remove the coconut flour porridge from heat and add the beaten egg, a half at a time, while whisking continuously. Place pot back on the heat and continue to whisk until the porridge thickens.
- Remove pot from the heat and continue to whisk for about 30 seconds before adding the butter, cream and sweetener.