- Beer: Riptide Fiddler
- Style: IPA – Red
- Alcohol by volume (ABV): 7%
- IBU: 63
- My rating: 3.25/5
- Brewer’s notes: Herbal mango, grapefruit aromas from the hops blend with the lightly toasted biscuit base built from the malt bill. This hoppy amber drinks smooth with a balanced flavor profile, finishing dry with a hint of chocolate.
Inspired from the finger pickin’ licks of Dark City String, this beer calls to America’s Amber roots while integrating extra hops and grains as a tribute to the band’s cohesive complexity. Multiple base malts were combined to create a layered malt profile, while maintaining a light and playful body. Infusing three varietals of high alpha West Coast hops into this foundation rounds out the experience with notes of citrus fruits and herbal aromatics. It’s common for ambers to get their color from sweetness inducing and body thickening caramel malts. As we tend to do, it was decided to diverge on the amber style and use a touch of roasted Carafa III. This beautiful roasted malt gives Riptide Fiddler its ruby hue and imparts just a hint of chocolate as the beer disappears to the back of the throat. Employing dextrose lightens the body a bit and sets this amber apart from the crowd. So throw on some bluegrass, put on your dancing shoes, and rip some fiddlers because it’s time to hoedown.
Hop Varietal: US Perle (Bittering); Mandarina Bavaria and Huell Melon (Whirlpool); Azacca, Cascade, and Simcoe (Dry Hop)
Malt Varietals: German Pilsner, Marris Otter, Light Malted Wheat, Light Munich, and Carafa III
- Venue: Pheasant’s Landing, Hillsborough, NJ
- Brewery: 2nd Act Beer, Dover, NJ, United States
- Brewery Type: Micro Brewery